It’s that time of year, when our seasonal residents prepare to go to their second home “up north” in hopes that the winter weather has subsided. There are a few things that need to be done to prepare your Florida home for several months of vacancy.
- Hiring a Home Watch company. Making sure that they are licensed and insured
- Forward your mail, put your services on vacation if you can
- If you have an alarm, notify the company that you are leaving
- Insurance Policies? Take them with you, make sure you have the contact information for your agent
- Turn off the water at the main source, also turn off the valve at the washing machine and relieve the pressure from the lines by opening a faucet for a minute to drain the water
- Unplug all of your electronics, TV, Computer, Printer, Stereo or anything not plugged into a surge protector
- Remove the food from your refrigerator and freezer, but leave it on
- Clear the lanai and porches. Items could cause damage in a storm
- Turn off the breaker for the Water Heater and appliances
- Set your air conditioner and humidistat (if you have one) to the recommended temps and percentages
Taking the time to prepare your home for a few months vacancy could save you headaches when you return.
Enjoy your Summer!